Monday, January 21, 2013

Bible translations - Our God's character is at stake.

Oh dear Mignon what are you getting yourself into here. But here, I have to share this. It is important.

Firstly I want to say that there are a lot of doctrine out there. If you come to me with doctrine and theology, come to me with your own words with applicable and relevant Bible references. Then I will listen. But if you come to me with someone else's words and documents and books and acronyms, I'm going to let it slide. If what you believe you can not say to me in your own words, with your own Bible in hand, I'm not listening. Easy as that. So to me, out with all your -isms. (Due to my no offence policy I will not name any -isms)

No Pastor or Minister I've met wants to give it to me straight when I ask: What about Bible translations? They will always say that I must go, compare and do my own homework. I did. And here's what I've found:




Jesus is talking about a little sparrow falling to the ground, and He is telling us about our Heavenly Father's reaction/action when that happens. He is using this comparison to teach us something about our Father's love for us (verse 31)

KJV - 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.
*OAV 1933/55 - 29 Word twee mossies nie vir 'n stuiwer verkoop nie? En nie een van hulle sal op die aarde val sonder julle Vader nie.

We fall, sometimes, but not without our Father. He is there with us, all the way. We fall, He is there. With us. With me. I'm not alone. He will not forsake me.

I can hold on to this. This is the God that I have come to know over the last eight or so years. He doesn't just leave us to fall on our own.

Now, lets look at some newer translations:

NKJV - 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.
NIV 1984 - 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.
*NV 1983 - 29 Is twee mossies nie vir 'n sent te koop nie? En tog sal nie een van hulle op die grond val sonder die wil van julle Vader nie.

What just happened here? Now, my falling depends on the will of my Father? How can this be? Will my God will me to fall? Is it suddenly His will for me to get cancer? to get run over? to get cheated on? to have a miscarriage? to loose a child? to stumble and fall?

Not my God no!

Then, this...

NLT - 29 What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it.
*NLV - 29 Julle weet dat twee mossies vir 'n skamele sent verkoop word. Tog beland nie een van hulle hulpeloos op die grond sonder dat julle Vader daarvan weet nie.

God knows I'm falling. Is that it?
He knows...?

Of cause He knows, but that's not all! Not my God.

In the Good News Translation He even gives His consent for me to fall... In The Message He at least still cares when I fall... He cares, like I care about it when you fall. I honestly don't understand how I can fall apart from my Father as the NASB puts it...

Oh people wake up!
God's character is at stake here!

So what is it? God cares when I fall, He knows about it, and He even wills it? What kind of God is that?

I'd rather fall, with my God right beside me.
At least then I'm not alone.
God is here, right beside me.
I wouldn't want (Him) to be any other place (when I fall...)
Mignon

* - Afrikaans Translations.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...