Monday, July 16, 2012

How can I make that schedule work for me?

A year or two ago, I drew up a half hourly schedule for my home and children. Last night I searched all over saved files to find the proud picture of "our daily schedule"! It probably took me about two weeks to fine tune, and less than a day to realize we will never be able to stick to such a rigid schedule.

(If I have to prepare breakfast between 07h30 and 08h00 and three little people all decide to have bowel movements in that time slot my whole day's planning goes up in the air!) We can sometimes hurt a relationship while trying to stick to a schedule - hurry hurts children!




I was very proud of our schedule sitting up there on the wall, the children too, but I don't think we ever managed to stick to it 100%, ever! So slowly we got rid of the schedule and just tried to do the basics round about the same time daily. Chores were sometimes done early in the morning, sometimes we only remembered to do them in the afternoon. But everyday everything got done eventually.

Trying to stick to a schedule can actually cause a lot of unnecessary stress and make you feel like a complete failure when you realize you just can't stick to it. Maybe that is the time to rethink the whole scheduling thing.

Have you noticed that the sun doesn't come up at the exact same time everyday? But it does come up. Spring doesn't always start on the first day of September (or March up north), but it does come around about that time the of year. Sometimes we get an early winter like this year. I am not saying that we can get up at nine o'clock in the morning, just as long as we get up. Oh no! But if a schedule is not working for you, then its not working, and then you have to find that sweet middle way. Something in between a rigid schedule and something else that you can live and breathe by!

I am rethinking that schedule, making it a bit more life/love/relationship friendly. I will keep you posted on the progress!

Anyone out there with tips or ideas on how to have a (better) routine rather than a schedule?

Mignon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear from you so drop your comment in the box.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...