Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A home school philosophy

wrote about the importance of having a home education philosophy a while ago, and here I'll be sharing our personal philosophy as we wrote it over four years ago:
Firstly I wrote down the reasons why we left mainstream school in the first place - I have already shared some of that here.
Secondly I wrote down a couple of things that I as a mother want to achieve through home educating my daughters:
  • Firstly I want my children to come to know the God that I worship, and I want to teach them His way and His word. (discipleship)
  • I want my children to have a strong set of values that could not easily be shifted.
  • I want to have a relationship with each of my children
  • When my daughters leave my house one day, they must be virtuous Titus 2 young ladies, able to take care and love their husbands and children, keepers of their homes, not measuring themselves by a worldly standard, but by the standard that our Lord Jesus has set before us by His example.
  • That they will display Godly character.
  • That they will show respect for all people, of all backgrounds.
  • That they will be able to think logically for themselves; use their God given understanding and knowledge, to His glory!
  • This will be the Lord's school. Every day will be dedicated to Him and He will be the Principle of our little school. 
  • As parents we will be accountable to God for our children's education.

Lastly we will also teach our children about the world. By that I mean that they will not be brought up in a glass box. As parents we will (under our loving supervision and guidance) expose our children to the world and what it stands for, and not isolate them. 

There have been difficult times in the past, where people have questioned and criticized our decision to home educate. There were also times of self doubt, and having this little philosophy in writing, has helped so much during those times.

Isaiah 54 : 13 "And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children."

Happy learning
Mignon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear from you so drop your comment in the box.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...