Thursday, May 31, 2012

The heavy weight of the gospel...

We received this unexpected request in our inbox a short while ago. After some research I discovered that we weren't the only ones on the mailing list. A Pastor in Africa, desperately asking for Bibles in a country where Christians are persecuted for their faith. That is all he asked for. Not for silver or gold, only God's Word.

We replied and our journey began...

We started our own asking on this side of the African continent...
no one answered.

So we waited till the next pay check and went down to the Evangelical Mission Press just down the road and we compiled a small package.


Only a couple of Bibles, and lots of good news in a foreign language. All crammed with love into the smallest box, and I wonder about the weight of this package. It's heavy, full of everlasting good news, very heavy... I can't possibly leave anything out, it would be wasted space...


Friendly lady at the Post Office, she asks what is in the package. I stumble, I say Bibles... She gives me lots of paperwork but I ask her to weigh the package first...

6,10 kilograms.

And how much will that heavy weight cost to send half way up and through Africa?

I almost loose my breath.

4 to 10 days by air, 60 days by sea...

Head goes into hands.

911...

I walk away, send an sms to husband, get back in line, maybe it will be cheaper if I make smaller packages. I will do that. I can do that. I can divide all this into smaller packages, I make my own plans...

The friendly lady tells me R27,40 per 100grams... it will end up costing more...

I walk out of the Post Office, heavy weight in arms and my phone rings...

Send it.

Just send it.





My soul leaps with overwhelming joy...



2 comments:

  1. So wonderlik Mignon! Ek besef dat dit 'n reuse bedrag vir julle gesin moes gewees het, maar weet net dat die waarde daarvan baie meer is, omdat dit ewigheidswaarde is! Bid en WEET dat God se Woord nie leeg sal terugkeer nie! Waardeer jul bereidheid en gehoorsaamheid aan God se Woord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So baie dankie Annalize. Ek sal dit wéér doen, al moet ons sop eet... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear from you so drop your comment in the box.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...